There are several trails in the Reserve, of which only the Brown Route is non-circular. Many regular walkers buy an Early Riser key which allows them access to the Reserve on foot before opening hours. This is a great way to beat the heat and enjoy a quiet walk. Early Riser keys are available from the Information Centre. Applicants need to be a valid member of the Friends of the Helderberg Nature Reserve. Membership cards are also obtainable at the Information Centre.
The routes are colour-coded. Please click on this link: map in pdf format
Walking Trails on the Helderberg
The Pink route goes to the top of West peak which is outside the Reserve. The Green route is also outside the Reserve. All the other trails are within the Reserve.
The Brown route is the only non-circular route.
Please treat the mountain with respect and take suitable precautions when hiking:
- Wear suitable footwear. Boots are highly recommended for the longer trails
- Take sufficient water to drink
- Take warm clothing – the weather changes quickly at higher altitudes
- Wear a hat and use sunblock
- Take snacks but please no littering. Bring back your rubbish!
- NO fires under any circumstances
- In case of an unforeseen accident, it is recommended that you do not walk on your own
- Take your cellphone with you and be sure to have the emergency number with you: 021 937 0300
Approximate distances of each route:
Sugarbird Walk (Yellow): 2.2km
Caracal Trail (Black): 4.4km
Protea Trail (Blue): 6.2km
Leopard Loop (Red): 8.2km
Woodie’s Walk (Green): 5 hours
Watsonia Trail (Brown): 4km
West Peak (Pink): 7 hours