The Friends of the Helderberg Nature Reserve
The Friends of the Helderberg Nature Reserve is a community-based organisation which help in many ways to promote education, supply information, raise funds, maintain the area and embark on promotional projects aimed at helping the public to enjoy and benefit from the Helderberg Nature Reserve.
The Friends is a registered Non-Profit Organisation (Reg. 062-777-NPO).
The Friends have set up an Environmental Education Centre for school children where a full time education officer co-ordinates activities.
Volunteers and work groups have developed the boardwalks through the gardens, organised events such as the always popular sunset concerts, and run the gift shop and visitor centre.
For contact details refer to the Information column to the right of the page.
The Friends of the Helderberg will contribute to ensure that the Helderberg Nature Reserve is a well-managed, secure and protected natural environment accessible to everyone. The Friends will promote and sustain the best possible opportunities and resources for young persons to experience practical environmental education.
To encourage and channel the support of Helderberg residents for the preservation and upkeep of the Helderberg Nature Reserve.
To promote environmental awareness and understanding amongst all people through programmes of environmental education and resource provision accessible to learners and people of all ages.
Join the friends
Contribute to the Reserve and receive benefits too. For more information see the Join the Friends page.
- Members should at all times observe and comply with the general rules of admission to the Helderberg Nature Reserve as required by reserve management.
- Members are required to comply with the regulation opening hours of the reserve, unless special permission has been obtained from the reserve manager to be in the reserve at any other time.
- Members shall present their valid Friends membership cards at the gate on arrival.
- Members are responsible for ensuring that their membership is up to date and that their card is valid whenever it is used.
- Members should carry their valid membership card and a form of identification on their person at all times when in the reserve.
- Membership cards, apart from those issued to ‘Patrons’, are not interchangeable and may only be used by the person whose name appears on the card.
- Whilst inside the reserve you are obliged to show your membership card on request from any official of the reserve management.
- Reserve management has the right to confiscate a member’s card if a violation of the rules has been determined.
- Members agree to support the Vision and Mission Statement of the Helderberg Friends group and to be bound by the terms of its constitution.
View the Friends Promotion of Access to Information Act manual (pdf).